Friday, 19 September 2008

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie


1- Shortly after her forced retirement, Miss Brodie writes to Sandy, questioning who might have betrayed her. Sandy replies, "If you did not betray us it is impossible that you could have been betrayed by us." In what ways does Miss Brodie betray her girls?


2- What is the role of religion in the novel, in Miss Brodie's behaviour, and in Sandy's and the other girls' lives? What correspondence can you find between the treatment of religion in the novel and what you know about Muriel Spark's life?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading the story, I liked it because it was a different story,A story that catches you.The main Character the teacher is a strange person, a bit perversive, I don´t know, it´s interesting to see how she tries to llive her live through those innocent girls, who saw her as a heroine. I really liked it!
Dany dip

Selene! said...

As we commented in class about the kind of personality of the teacher, I don't think that she was so different to many teachers who try to live their lives through the girls. I believe that Miss Brodie betray the girls in many ways: she tried to influence one of them to have sex qith the teacher she loved as a replacement of her; she convinced a girl to go to fight and she died because of that; she also made the girls mistreat the weaker girl because she thought she was useless and she also tried to influence each girl to be someone she wanted instead of thinking of what they wanted.
I think that she obtained what she deserved: an end of her life in a lonely and poor way.

Anonymous said...

This was a very catching story...I like the way in which was written using the prolepsis technique (flash-forward).

As regards the first question I think Miss Brodie, in a way, taught betrayal and distrust when she didn't obey Miss Mackay rules. She left aside the teacher role to become a friend of the girls and afterwards she used them to fulfill her own dreams and ambitions.

As regards religion Miss Brodie was a Calvinist and Sandy converted to Roman Catholicism. I believe Sandy finishes betraying Miss Brodie because:
-She realized the Miss Brodie's effects on the girls.
-She thought she was a hypocrit acting as a great moralist and sleeping with the married teacher.

As I found on the net, Muriel Spark based on a teacher of her to create Miss Brodie and despite growing up in Presbyterian Edinburgh she rejected Calvinism and converted to Roman Catholicism. Therefore I think she based on herself to create Sandy.

Anonymous said...

I don’t know why but I expected it sort of boring. In any case, I was very much not bored as this is a sort of coming-of-age novel. The girls' minds are opened by Miss Brodie to all sorts of insights about life, particularly love and sex that they are not quite ready for. At first Miss Brodie is their absolute hero. Then, as they grow older, they learn to be skeptical. They learn to judge for themselves. And it's never quite clear whether Miss Brodie herself got crazier, or whether the girls just couldn't recognize it before.
Gisela

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mrs Gaby Brodie!!!THank you for offering your Prime to us...We are convinced that by this time you are really drunk like Hemingway...Bring us a cake Tomorrow!!!don't forget the cake...