Gabriela N. Duaigües. Profesora Superior de inglés. Licenciada en Lengua Inglesa. Diplomada en Gestión Educativa. Especialista en Educación y Nuevas tecnologías.
What are your final thoughts after having read and analysed this novel? It would be great if we could share if this novel have made you think in a different way or not.
After reading this novel I felt I could have a deeper understanding of what people may suffer in war, and after war is finished their suffering is not less. I could also understand a bit more that passion that many people can feel towards bullfighting or fishing, as I have always considered these activities mainly male entertainment. Searching for happiness....isn't it what we all spend our life doing?
After having read this book I realized how much people suffered after the First World War. It's worth noticing the distintion between those ex-soldiers who felt proud of having fought in the war and those who felt ashamed and tried to elude talking about it.
As regards love and passion it's clearly denoted how some people will do everything for those who are in love with (for example Cohn and Jake towards Bett) and those who don't want to commit (for example Cohn and Frances, Brett and Romero)
From my point of view the ex-soldiers felt so ashamed and sad becuase there was a mismatching between the moral values they were taught and what they had experienced in war.
In my opinion all of us spend our life searching for hapiness but in different ways as the novel depicted.
For me, this book has to be looked at as a reflection of the writer himself.The text reveals so many of Hemingway’s insecurities and how he perceives women, men and the world. One could, of course, attribute the insecurity of the male characters to their involvement in World War I, a war in which all illusion of individual honor and bravery were taken away.
I really like this novel, it has great descriptions, and in a way they show the feelings and the reality these caracters go through. through the novel the author shows us some of his own feelings as regards life: enjoy the moment, live without thinking about the others, but I think that with love and passion he shows how desperate he was, how lonely he felt.
I really enjoy readin g the book. It makes us think a lot how people can feel after they went to war, and the things that they try to do in order to forget all the bad moments tey lved. But I think that eventhough they drink a lo t or the travel there are thingd that they wil never foret, and after a war nobody´s life will be the same. dany
This book was shocking! I read and read without understanding deeply what the author was thinking when he wrote it. I thought that all the people there were unhappy and that most of them will not have more happiness for the rest of their life.
The descriptions and images were really clear, I was able to imagine all the scenes in my mind. the characters' feelings were exposed completely by the author in a way that it was very simple to understand each of them (although they did not show any).
After analysing it, I realized a lot of things that were avoided during my reading, so I thank you Gaby to be with us this year!
I did enjoy reading the book. I am a great adventurer..jaja..and I love books that deal with nature, places, madness, lust, alcohol..This book is the perfect combination of all these themes… I think that happiness is an important thing in life but we are mistaken if we think that happiness is a never ending feeling..That is why we live our lives longing for happiness because once you taste it, you cannot get rid of its after taste and you have to follow it. Don’t you think happiness can be compared with alcohol? Emilio...
10 comments:
After reading this novel I felt I could have a deeper understanding of what people may suffer in war, and after war is finished their suffering is not less. I could also understand a bit more that passion that many people can feel towards bullfighting or fishing, as I have always considered these activities mainly male entertainment. Searching for happiness....isn't it what we all spend our life doing?
After having read this book I realized how much people suffered after the First World War. It's worth noticing the distintion between those ex-soldiers who felt proud of having fought in the war and those who felt ashamed and tried to elude talking about it.
As regards love and passion it's clearly denoted how some people will do everything for those who are in love with (for example Cohn and Jake towards Bett) and those who don't want to commit (for example Cohn and Frances, Brett and Romero)
From my point of view the ex-soldiers felt so ashamed and sad becuase there was a mismatching between the moral values they were taught and what they had experienced in war.
In my opinion all of us spend our life searching for hapiness but in different ways as the novel depicted.
I forgot to say that the descriptions are wonderful and vivid.
For me, this book has to be looked at as a reflection of the writer himself.The text reveals so many of Hemingway’s insecurities and how he perceives women, men and the world.
One could, of course, attribute the insecurity of the male characters to their involvement in World War I, a war in which all illusion of individual honor and bravery were taken away.
I really like this novel, it has great descriptions, and in a way they show the feelings and the reality these caracters go through.
through the novel the author shows us some of his own feelings as regards life: enjoy the moment, live without thinking about the others, but I think that with love and passion he shows how desperate he was, how lonely he felt.
everybody wants hwppyness in life but I rally don´t think that they were happy, they were just living, and that, for me, is terrible sad...
I really enjoy readin g the book. It makes us think a lot how people can feel after they went to war, and the things that they try to do in order to forget all the bad moments tey lved. But I think that eventhough they drink a lo t or the travel there are thingd that they wil never foret, and after a war nobody´s life will be the same.
dany
This book was shocking! I read and read without understanding deeply what the author was thinking when he wrote it. I thought that all the people there were unhappy and that most of them will not have more happiness for the rest of their life.
The descriptions and images were really clear, I was able to imagine all the scenes in my mind. the characters' feelings were exposed completely by the author in a way that it was very simple to understand each of them (although they did not show any).
After analysing it, I realized a lot of things that were avoided during my reading, so I thank you Gaby to be with us this year!
I did enjoy reading the book. I am a great adventurer..jaja..and I love books that deal with nature, places, madness, lust, alcohol..This book is the perfect combination of all these themes…
I think that happiness is an important thing in life but we are mistaken if we think that happiness is a never ending feeling..That is why we live our lives longing for happiness because once you taste it, you cannot get rid of its after taste and you have to follow it. Don’t you think happiness can be compared with alcohol?
Emilio...
Post a Comment