Saturday, 12 April 2008

ANIMAL FARM


After reading and discussing this great novel, let's exchange our opinions here:
What is Orwell's purpose in writing this novel?
Why is this novel still relevant?
Would this novel have been equally successful using people rather than animals? Why or why not?

10 comments:

Selene! said...

I liked the book very much. It was the first time I really enjoyed reading a book in English. The plot is interesting and I can relate it to every situation in the world. It seems that all the people share a kind of ignorance, because we know that our government is untruthful but we go on trusting every speech. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I THINK THAT THIS GREAT NOVEL WOULD NOT BE SUCCESSFUL IF IT USE PEOPLE RATHER THAN ANIMALS BECAUSE IT´S WONDERFUL THE WAY THAT THE RUSSIAN TOTALITARISM IS DEPICTED IN IT THROUGH ALLEGORY.

Anonymous said...

I did really enjoy the book; it is wonderful how this book pictures the twentieth century and also present times. As we were discussing in class, during dictatorships, different writers tried to picture reality and cruelty in an indirect way. Something similar happened here in Argentina with some writers and singers. They wrote lyrics to show their disapproval towards the government but in a satirical way in order to avoid punishment. There is a famous song by “Leon Gieco”called, “Cancion de los mosquitos”.

El gorrión le quito la casa al hornero,
un ave de rapiña picoteaba un cordero,
la calandria fue atrapada por la serpiente,
los conejos pisoteados por el elefante.
La hiena cantaba una triste canción,
las hormigas bailoteaban sobre las iguanas,
el caimán se comió al pajarito
que le limpiaba los dientes con su piquito..
Hay que vida es esta
dijo un cazador
salieron a matarse todos los animales,oh, oh, oh…

I think, this song is very similar in a way to George Orwell’s Animal Farm because the writer is satirizing a situation but instead of describing human beings, he describes animals, animals that behave as humans. In both works animals which belong to a higher level in hierarchy manipulate or take advantages from the others.
Regarding the movie, there are some changes because the end of the book is not appropriate for little children. (Imaging their reaction).

Emilio..

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's very well written, using animals as characters was a great device in order to avoid censorship.
I think we can apply this allegory to every government, because in all governments we find a working class who believes what the government says, some people who is against the government but don't do anything, people who is against the government and try to do something but is censored, a propaganda machine, etc.
In my opinion Animal farms depicts clearly the corruption of socialist ideals in the Soviet Union

Gaby this blog is great!Thanks!

Gabriela Duaigües said...

Thank you very much for finally find your way here! And you see that's not so hard, isn't it? Great comments and let's keep in touch. I will continue posting questions or topics for us to discuss.

Anonymous said...

sorry I could´t post before( my computer didn´t work) I think that this idea is great, and I really enjoy your participation in the classes. I like the book, Is interesting and useful, but it is not a book i would like to read again, don´t ask me why, it is just a feeling. May be it shows a situation we are used to seeing so i don´t like it in that way.

Well, thanks for this and for being with us this year. see you....

Anonymous said...

I think that the film about ANIMAL FARM was really nice, and was useful for us, because help us to understand more in deep what the story was about.I couldn´t see the time machine yet, but I´ll try to watch it so It´ll be easier read the book.
According to what you asked us about our opinion about the authors be have been dealing with, To me the most interesting ere the world war writers,I don´t know exactly why but were the ons that I like most.

Anonymous said...

When I read the book, I didn't like at all as if I expected something else. But, I changed my mind when we started analysing it in class (although I couldn't speak) because I realized things that I haven't taken into account before
I loved the way you made us pay attention to every detail in order to become aware of the themes and the descriptions showed through the pages.

Selene! said...

I refered to "Fiesta" in the previous comment

Anonymous said...

i realize this kind of communication between teacher and students of any age is very motivating and rewarding for all, I hope gaby suceeds in motivating her students to apply this technique in thei teachin practices. Miryam